Scallops and Sauce
3-4 lb. dry pack sea scallops (10-12 per pound or larger)
2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 can coconut milk (unsweetened, not cream of coconut)
1/4 cup honey
3 tsp. curry powder
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp. mango chutney
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1. Caramelize onion in olive oil, add garlic and saute until golden, add coconut milk and whipping cream, honey and curry powder.
2. Simmer 5-10 minutes, then thicken with roux until the sauce coats a spoon.
3. Heat and sweetness can be adjusted by adding curry powder or honey.
Sautéed Sea Scallops
1. In a heavy, non-stick sauté pan, heat the olive oil until almost smoking.
2. Add scallops gently, (pat dry before adding). Be careful for flare-ups.
3. Cook each side 1-2 minutes until nicely browned for medium.
1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
2. Add rice, red pepper, curry powder and pine nuts and sauté for 2-3 more minutes over medium heat.
3. Add water to de-glaze pan, then add all remaining ingredients (except green onion), place in an oven proof dish and bake covered in 350° oven for approximately 45 minutes until rice is tender.
4. Add chopped green onions immediately before serving.
5. Mound rice in center of plate, pool sauce around rice and place sea scallops in sauce (5-6 per person).
6. Garnish with chopped green onion.