Portobello Mushroom Caponata
Caponata is an Italian salsa or relish that can be made with assorted vegetables. Caponata is commonly served as an appetizer or side dish.
1 Tbsp. oil
4 cups Portobello mushrooms
1 cup sweet onions
1/2 cup Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup green peppers
1/2 cup yellow peppers
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 Tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
2 Tbsp. fresh basil
1. Place pine nuts in a nonstick skilled over medium heat. Stir constantly until they begin to turn golden brown. Remove from skillet immediately (they burn easily) and let cool.
2. Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, peppers and garlic. Saute for five minutes.
3. Stir in brown sugar, lemon juice and salt. Cook for another minute and remove from heat.
4. Place in serving bowl and toss with raisins, pine nuts and basil.
5. Serve on toasted French baguette either at room temperature (as an appetizer) or warm (as a side dish).
Nutritional information: 69 calories, 2.5g fat, 1.3g protein, 11g carbohydrates, 151mg sodium