8 crisp, tart apples
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 whole stick of cold butter, cut into slices
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Peel and core apples and cut into 1 inch chunks. Spread them evenly into an unbuttered 2 quart baking dish.
3. Combine flour, sugar and nutmeg. Add butter. Mix together with pastry blender or use your fingers. Work butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumb mixture.
4. Cover the apples completely with flour mixture.
5. Bake until topping is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 50 minutes.
6. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.