A great project to let children decorate or help with decorating
1 White cake mix baked in 2 round cake pans
1 teaspoon almond extract (to be added to cake mix, if desired)
1 can white frosting (prepared or home-made) or Large Fat-free
Whipped topping for frosting
1 bag large Jelly Beans, assorted colors
Licorice strips, cut in half lengthwise and in thirds for whiskers
Large bag cocout, if desired to decorate top of cake
Red food coloring
1. Bake cake according to directions in round cake pans. One teaspoon almond extract may be added for additional flavor to the cake mix before baking. To make cake lower fat, sustitute equal amounts of applesauce for the oil in the recipe; shorten baking time by 3-5 minutes to prevent the cake from drying out.
2. Remove from pan and place one round cake on a cookie sheet for the head of the bunny. Cut 2 elliptidcal shapes as shown on television for the ears, cutting off triangles at one end of each ear to make ear fit closer to head shape (eat triangles to give you strenght to finish job!). Place ears on cookie sheet; use remaining large shape for bow tie of bunny.
3. Cover entire cake with frosting or whipped topping. Reserve 1/3 cup coconut and place in plastic, ziplock bag with very small amount of red food coloring and shake to color coconut to light pink for center of bunny ears.
4. Springkle remaining coconut over frosting to form hair of bunny (optional). Use pink jelly beans for eyes and black jelly beans for nose; decorate bow tie with additional jelly beans. Use 3 strips of licorice on each of nose for whiskers.
5. Refrigerate until needed if using whipped topping. Enjoy