- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To prepare cupcakes, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and banana; set aside.
3. Beat 1/2 cup granulated sugar, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana mixture to sugar mixture, beating well. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
4. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour, mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
5. Cool completely on wire rack.
6. To prepare the frosting, beat the powederd sugar, chilled creamed cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla at medium speed of a mixer just until blended (do not overbeat). Spread frosting over cupcakes, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Fat 7.8 g
Sodium: 193 mg
Protein: 3.8 g
Calcium: 25 mg
Iron: 0.7 mg
Fiber: 0.6 g
1 dozen (serving size: 1 cupcake)
Source: Cooking Light Magazine