12 slices Texas toast, stale but not hard
3/4 cup raisins
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups whole milk
1/4 lb. salted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Trim crust off the bread and cut into 1-inch cubes. Scatter bread cubes into baking dish and repeat the procedure with the raisins.
2. Wisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl, then whisk the milk.
3. Pour the mixture over bread and let it stand for 30 minutes pressing the bread down with a spatula to help absorb the liquid.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°. Place baking dish with the bread pudding mix into a larger baking dish. Pour water 2/3 of the way up the outside dish to make a water bath.
5. Bake for 1 1/4 hours until puffed up and firm. Serve hot or cold with Carmel sauce.
1. Melt butter in a saucepot, then whisk in brown sugar and stir for three to five minutes.
2. Pour in cream and continue to stir for two more minutes.
3. Top bread pudding and enjoy!
Yield: 9 servings