1/2 cup white wine
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup asparagus, blanched and sliced on bias, reserve tops for garnish
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. shallots, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, and more for the table
2 Tbsp. chopped herbs to include basil, parsley, chives, thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pour stock in saucepan and bring to a boil; keep warm until use.
2. Blanch asparagus in boiling salt water and cool.
3. Heat oil and butter in heavy bottom skillet, add shallots to soften. Add garlic and continue to saute.
4. Add rice and stir constantly. Begin adding stock one cup at a time, allowing rice to absorb each cup before adding more.
5. After adding half of the stock, add the wine, then add remaining stock. When adding the last cup of stock, add the sliced asparagus and season to taste.
6. Enrich the risotto with Parmesan cheese and add the chopped herbs.
7. Serve in hot bowl surrounded by asparagus tips and top with more cheese.
Variation: Country Ham and Lobster Tail
1. Cook lobster tail in pan and deglaze with sherry. Serve in shell on top of risotto.
2. Add ham when adding asparagus.