24 oz. whole milk
8 oz. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cinnamon sticks
12 oz. dark chocolate
1 lb. soft white bread, cut into cubes, crusts removed
1 banana, sliced
2 oz. butter
2 oz. brown sugar
2 oz. orange juice
1 oz. rum
1 oz. almond flavoring
Dash of cinnamon
1 oz. pecans, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Generously butter a 2-inch deep, half-size pan.
2. Combine milk, sugar, salt and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
3. Chop the chocolate and place it in a mixing bowl. Pour the hot milk mixture over the chocolate, stirring until the chocolate melts. Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks.
4. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly, then whisk in the eggs. Fold in the bread and pour the custard into the prepared pan.
5. Bake until set, approximately 20 min. Serve warm with whipped cream or custard sauce and garnish with sliced, toasted almonds.
1. Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat, approximately 30-40 seconds.
2. Add bananas and cook for one minute.
3. Add orange juice and almond flavoring. Stir well.
4. Add rum, flambee for about 45 seconds. Put atop milk chocolate bread pudding. Dust lightly with crushed pecans.
More a kin to custard than a typical bread pudding, this version is rich and creamy with a hint of cinnamon. It’s a great dish for showing off premium-quality chocolate-semi-sweet, or bittersweet, depending on your personal preference.
This sauce is great over many desserts, such as ice cream, and chocolate cake.