A different kind of pumpkin treat for the holidays.
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 Tbsp. raw sugar
1. Beat together the sugar, eggs, egg yolks and cornstarch in a small bowl. Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture.
2. Put mixture into saucepan and cook on medium-low temperature until the mixture thickens into a custard, about 10 minutes. Whisk constantly to prevent lumps.
3. Remove the custard from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Divide custard into 8 ramekins and cool.
5. Just before serving, sprinkle the raw sugar evenly over the top of each custard.
6. Burn the sugar under a hot broiler until the sugar caramelizes and hardens.
7. Serve within 10 minutes.