2 cups uncooked sushi style white rice (short grain)
2 cups water
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 carrots, shredded
6 green onions, sliced thin
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds (black or white)
Wasabi Ginger Sauce
1 Tbsp. Wasabi powder
1/4 cup water
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp. dry or one Tbsp. fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. canola oil
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
6 Tbsp. soy sauce
1. Rinse rice in a sieve until the water runs clear, about 5 minutes. Let the rice drain.
2. In a nonstick saucepan with a tight fitting lid, combine the rice and water, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes more. Do not open the lid. Take the heat off and let the rice stand covered for 10 minutes.
3. While the rice is cooking, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, carrots and scallions in a non-reactive bowl.
4. Spread the sesame seeds on a plate.
5. When the rice has cooled (for up to 2 hours) form a ball, with the vegetable mixture inside the rice, and roll it in the sesame seeds.
6. Place on an oiled baking sheet (use sesame oil).
7. Wrap and chill; can be made up to two days ahead.
8. Use the sauce as dip.