Calories 540; carbohydrates 52.1 g; cholesterol 73mg; fat 15.3g;
sodium 636 mg; protein 43.3 g; calcium 60mg; iron 7.1 mg; fiber 5.5g
2 center cut bacon slices, finely diced
2-1/2 pounds boned chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups thinly sliced onion (about 4 medium)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (10-1/2 ounce) can beef broth
1 (12-ounce) can light beer
1 bay leaf
6 cups cooked medium egg noodles (about 1 12-ounce package)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cook bacon slices in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp; remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan. Set bacon aside.
2. Add beef, salt, and pepper to drippings in pan, cook 5 minutes, browning beef well on all sides. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside.
3. Add sliced onion to pan; cover and cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, and cook 2 minutes.
4. Add vinegar and the next 5 ingredients (vinegar through bay leaf), and bring to a boil. Return bacon and beef to pan.
5. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until beef is tender, and discard the bay leaf. Serve over noodles.