Arugula, Orange and Fennel Salad
Try this tasty summer salad.
6 fennel bulbs
1 red onion, shaved paper thin
2 cup mandarin orange segments
6 bunches fresh arugula
1 cup canned walnuts
2 Tbsp. Italian sweet red chili oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 cup canola oil
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. Turbinado sugar
1/2 tsp. Fresh ground black pepper
1. Begin by preparing six fennel bulbs. Trim off the tops of the bulbs about 3 to 4 inches above the base. Using a small spoon, scoop out the inside of the bulb to form a cup. Be careful not to get the sides of the cup too thin or the bulb will fall apart while it is poaching.
2. Poach the bulbs in either vegetable or chicken stock until tender but not soft. Remove the bulbs from the poaching liquid and cool them in a refrigerator.
3. After the bulbs are cooled, trim the base of each bulb flat so that it will stand up on a serving plate without falling over.
4. Next, prepare the vinaigrette – combine vinaigrette ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly.
5. To assemble the salads, take a bunch of arugula and insert it into each of the bulbs. Set the stuffed fennel bulb onto a serving plate and arrange some of the shaved red onion over the top of the arugula.
6. Set the orange segments and walnuts around the edge of the serving plate.
7. Drizzle over the top of the arugula with the vinaigrette, allowing some of the vinaigrette to spill onto the serving plate, then garnish with a small amount of the chili oil.
Yield: 6 servings