Orange Peeled Mongolian Beef
2 lbs. flank steak (or similar cut)
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
Orange peel: 1 inch-wide strips of one orange
Juice of one orange
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and orange juice in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Place flank steak in the bowl, add orange peels and flip steak a couple of times to coat with marinade, then cover; or you can put entire mixture in a sealed Ziploc bag. Refrigerate overnight, at least six hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Place flank steak on baking rack, then place baking rack on a sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes, turn steak, and return to oven for 10 minutes.
4. Remove steak from oven and let rest for five minutes then slice at a 45° angle.
5. Simmer marinade for five minutes in a saucepan until it starts to thicken.
6. Serve beef on rice or noodles, topped with thickened marinade.