3 lbs. fresh or canned sauerkraut
4 Tbsp. finely minced bacon
1 large onion, minced
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 or 4 cups of stock or water as needed
1 Tbsp. caraway seeds (optional)
1 dried bay leaf
1. Drain sauerkraut in a colander, pressing out excess liquid. If it is very sour, rinse once or twice in the colander until the flavor is mild; press out excess water.
2. Melt bacon, add onions and apples and saute until golden brown.
3. Add sauerkraut, stock or water and spices; stir until mixed well.
4. Cover and simmer slowly but steadily 1 1/2 hours or until sauerkraut is soft but not overcooked.
5. Add more stock or water to pot as needed during the cooking process.