An old fashioned dessert or breakfast.
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1-1/4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. kirsch (cherry brandy), optional
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups pitted dark cherries, frozen or fresh
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Generously butter a 9-inch cast iron skillet or baking dish.
3. Combine vanilla, eggs, sugar, milk, kirsh and salt in a blender. Blend for a few seconds to combine, then add flour and blend until smooth, about one minute.
4. Pour batter into buttered skillet or pan, then distribute cherries evenly over top.
5. Bake until a skewer inserted into the batter comes out clean and a golden brown crust has formed on top, about 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Let cool until still warm, but not hot. Dust with Confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings