1 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 cups vegetable broth, or more to taste
2 15 oz. cans black beans
15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup dried peeled russet-type baking potato
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. hot red pepper sauce, or to taste
Garnishes: Diced red or green onion or minced cilantro or parsley
1. Combine onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup vegetable broth in a large pot. Bring to a simmer and simmer until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup broth, black beans and their juice, tomatoes, potatoes, thyme and cumin. Bring to a simmer, cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
3. Thin soup if necessary with a little more vegetable broth.
4. Add Tabasco. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Serve hot, topping each portion with some of the green onion and herbs, or pass the garnishes separately at the table.
Yield: 4 servings