Our last perfect picnic food item for our continuing series on food that is perfect for any picnic.
3 pints blueberries, fresh
3 cups red raspberries, fresh
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 pkg. puff pastry dough
1 Tbsp. milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 375° .
2. In a large bowl mix berries, sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Let rest for five minutes then pout into a two-quart glass baking dish.
3. Beat egg and milk together into a wash.
4. Lay puff pastry on top of baking dish and crimp all the way around. Brush pastry with egg wash to cover.
5. Sprinkle sugar over egg wash and place on a rack in the lower third of the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
6. Let stand to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
7. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Yield: 12 to 14 servings