Drunken Pear Bread Pudding
8 cups stale nine-grain or multi grain bread, 1 inch cubes
3/4 cup sugar substitute
1/3 cup spiced rum
4 cups diced and peeled pears
1/2 cup raisins
2 oz. water
1 cup egg whites (from approx. eight large eggs) or liquid egg substitute
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups non-fat milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Prepare a 9-inch round baking pan, either nonstick or lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
3. Put bread cubes in a large bowl.
Put water, splenda, and pears in 10-inch skillet and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat for approximately 4 minutes. Add rum and flambee.
4. Pour contents of skillet over bread and add raisins. Fold and blend together.
5. In a large bowl, lightly beat egg whites and salt, just to break up the whites. Whisk in milk, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread mixture. Mix well.
6. Transfer to prepared pan. Smooth the surface evenly with a spatula.
7. Bake until firm and golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
8. Let cool in pan. Serve at room temperature or chilled.