6 medium peaches or 1 lb. frozen peaches
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
6 Tbsp. or 3 oz. nonfat milk
6 Tbsp. or 3 oz. liquid egg substitute
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Peel and slice peaches. You should have about 4 cups. Sprinkle with two tsp. sugar taken from the 1/3 cup. Put peaches in a 9-inch nonstick pie pan.
3. In a bowl, stir together remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, egg substitute and vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just to blend. Batter will be thick.
6. Spoon the batter over the peaches, smoothing it with the back of the spoon. It doesn’t need to cover the peaches, completely; in fact, it looks nice if some of the peaches are poking through. Bake until the peaches are bubbly and the topping is browned, about 30 minutes.
If your peaches are ripe, you should be able to peel them easily with a small knife.
If not, it will help to blanch them. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut an X in the rounded end of each peach. Add peaches to the boiling water and boil 30 seconds. Transfer to ice water with a slotted spoon. Lift them out when they are cool. The skins will slip right off.
Yield: 8 servings