Scott County School Teams Won't Suffer Postseason Ban

By: Louis Montesi, III
By: Louis Montesi, III

Scott County basketball teams will not be banned from postseason play.

The school district's superintendent and school board resigned Thursday, saving the district from a state takeover and ensuring that its schools' sport teams will able to play in district and state tournaments.

Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant says he will not authorize a takeover of the school district in light of the resignations.

The State Board of Education declared a state of emergency in the district last week.

The news comes just in time as division tournaments are set to begin on Monday. That means teams from Scott Central, Lake, Sebastopol and Morton can compete in postseason play. Led by Mississippi's all-time leading scorer, Victoria Vivians, Scott Central will seek its third consecutive 2A girls basketball state title. The news is also big for the Sebastopol boys basketball team, who boasted a 17-5 record and 9-0 mark in district play as of Thursday.

Governor Bryant is expected to name new school board members, who, in turn, will name a new superintendent. His spokeswoman says those special elections will happen at a later date


WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 245482031 - wtok.com/a?a=245482031