Forest man recovering from COVID-19 after 80 hospital days

62 year old Pastor Odee Akins survived a near death fight with COVID-19.
62 year old Pastor Odee Akins survived a near death fight with COVID-19.(WTOK)
Published: Jul. 18, 2020 at 6:47 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Forest, Miss. (WTOK) - If you don’t believe in wearing a face mask, a Forest resident would like to try to convince you otherwise. Newscenter 11 spoke with a COVID-19 survivor that was in a hospital for 80 days and spent over half of that time in a coma.

62-year-old Pastor Odee Akins survived a near-death fight with COVID-19.

“This coronavirus is real. It is nothing to play with or to ignore. I encourage everyone to take all precautions they can. This thing is real and it’s very painful. You don’t want to go through what I went through. I like to not have made it,” said COVID-19 survivor, Pastor Odee Akins.

Akins was diagnosed with COVID-19 on April 30th. Just a couple of days before he fellowshipped with a church member who unknowingly had the virus. That day, Akins just happened to forget his mask in his car.

“I noticed he was coughing and sneezing. I thought it was a cold he was catching. For the next couple of days, he went to the hospital to get tested. He was then put on a ventilator. A few days later, he died,” said Akins.

After Akins visit a hospital in Forest, he was then transported to UMMC in Jackson where he spent over a month in a coma.

“I told them to get me out of here and get me to Jackson. In Jackson, I was put on a ventilator. They gave me a drug called fentanyl. That put me in an induced coma. I was in a coma for 46 days,” said Akins.

Akins said the virus hit him hard.

“I had to hold on to what faith I had to make it,” said Akins.

As Akins was still in a coma, he was given a 2% chance to live. His wife, Helen who contracted the virus from him said she did not accept those odds.

“It wasn’t easy but I had to believe God. No matter what the doctor said I had to believe God. I know God was going to bring him out. I also had COVID-19 too. I was in the hospital for a week. God brought me out and I knew he was going to bring him out,” said Odee Akins’s wife, Helen.

When Akins woke up from his coma, he was transported to a hospital in Meridian where he spent 34 days hooked up to a ventilator. His fight lasted a total of 80 days, laying in a hospital bed, expected to die from the virus.

“I had tubes in me. I had them in my nose, arm and I had a trach in my throat. I couldn’t breathe on my own. I was also being feed through a tube,” said Akins.

Copyright 2020 WTOK. All rights reserved.