Forrest County’s Christina Danford named DYW of Mississippi 2022
MERIDIAN, Miss. (WTOK) - The 2022 Distinguished Young Woman of Mississippi program concluded last night at the Evangel Temple. Following a week of rehearsal and three nights of competition, Christina Danford from Forrest County was named the Distinguished Young Woman of Mississippi for 2022. In addition to her new title, she also received preliminary awards in fitness and scholastic and was named the overall talent winner. Danford says she’s excited for what comes next and that she never would have expected this before taking part in the program.
“I am so incredibly excited to get to represent our beautiful state. Obviously, I was extremely nervous going up onto the stage - not knowing what would happen - but all-in-all I am extremely excited. I am extremely blessed to get to have this opportunity and I am so excited for the year ahead to represent our state. You know - I was actually that person before entering this program that was very unsure about whether I wanted to do it. And I have to say that being through this week and the people that I have met - it’s absolutely life-changing. It’s gonna give you skills that you never knew that were inside of you. And as a natural introvert - it pushed me outside of my comfort zone like I have never ever would have imagined.” Danford said.
Danford will move on to represent Mississippi in the national program next summer in Mobile, Alabama.
Top 10 Finalists
- Jones County’s Neeley Robertson
- Pearl River County’s Presley Bauer
- Desoto County’s Hannah Grace Crain
- Petal’s Sarah High
- Forrest County’s Christina Danford
- Pascagoula’s Katherine Herring
- West Jackson County’s Hallie Grace Everett
- Wayne County’s Karolina Heathcock
- Starkville’s Emmy Moyen
- Madison County’s Advikaa Anand
- Be Your Best Self Essay Winner: Neshoba County’s Faith Shumaker
- Spirit of DYW Winner: Choctaw County’s Kiersen Easley
- Overall Scholastic Winner: Clinton’s Abigail Vargheese
- Overall Talent Winner: Forrest County’s Christina Danford
- Overall Self-Expression Winner: Marion County’s Julia Johnson
- Overall Fitness Winner: Pearl River County’s Presley Bauer
- 3rd Alternate: Petal’s Sarah High
- 2nd Alternate: Jones County’s Neeley Robertson
- 1st Alternate: Pearl River County’s Presley Bauer
- Distinguished Young Woman of Mississippi 2022: Forrest County’s Christina Danford
Copyright 2021 WTOK. All rights reserved.