Pocket Museum holding ‘Banner Art Contest’
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (WDAM) - The Hattiesburg Pocket Museum Banner Art Contest is in full swing, celebrating FestivalSouth 2022.
“FestivalSouth is dedicated to bringing the arts to our community” said Mike Lopinto, co-artistic director for FestivalSouth.
Artists of all ages and all artistic backgrounds are encouraged to submit a sketch of their artwork for judging.
“It’s just building on Hattiesburg’s reputation for creative art instillations and of course the purpose of the alley and the Pocket Museum is to get people downtown. So we hope this will cause people to come not only for the Pocket Museum, but to see and be able to identify who they would like to recommend as the best paint banner,” said Rick Taylor, Executive director of the Hattiesburg Convention Commission.
From the sketch submissions, 25 winners will be chosen. The winners’ banners will be hung in Milo’s Sky-High Gallery above the Hattiesburg Pocket Museum on June 1.
“The theme of course is summer. So it’s pretty wide open, hopefully it will be fun, vibrant and lively. It does have to be painted on vinyl banners and thus needs to be coated or painted with a weather resisted paint,” said Taylor.
Taylor also says artists need to know their ideas will have to be represented on a 2 foot wide, 4 foot tall banner.
Visitors to the alley will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite banner between June 1 and June 20.
The People’s Choice Award Winner will be announced at the final concert of FestivalSouth at the Historic Saenger Theater on June 25.
“We want to fill the alley with the sights, sounds and tastes of summer this June and July and the banners will be our visual kick-start,” said Taylor.
Deadlines for the Banner Art Contest are as follows:
- Feb. 15: Banner Art Contest announced – artists begin their sketches
- March 15: Deadline for submission of artist’s sketch sent via email to email@example.com or submitted in person at One Convention Center Plaza)
- April 15 Announcement of the 25 artists selected for display
- May 15 Deadline for completed banners to be delivered to One Convention Center Plaza
- June 1: Banners displayed in Milo’s Sky-High Gallery
- June 1: June 20: Social media voting for the People’s Choice Award Winner
- June 25: Banner artists recognized at FestivalSouth final concert and People’s Choice Award Winner announced.
Artists will paint both sides of the banner, and are encouraged to have a different design for each side.
Artist’s sketches can be submitted in any medium on either paper or canvas in dimensions of 24 inches wide by 48 inches high, 6 inches wide by 12 inches high or 3 inches wide by 6 inches high.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Banner Art Contest.
The Hattiesburg Pocket Museum is an attraction of the Hattiesburg Convention Commission.
Copyright 2022 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Want more WDAM 7 news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.