MERIDIAN, Miss. (WTOK) - We have compiled a list of closings, delays and cancellations in response to the coronavirus. This list will be continuously updated when as we get new, confirmed information.
The list includes important closings we are aware of and event cancellations/reschedules (the events list is not comprehensive, but focuses on events that typically draw larger crowds).
- Meridian Parks and Recreation has suspended all indoor recreational activities. Closures already in place included the Meridian Activity Center, Velma Young Community Center and the Dentzel Carousel.
- All Mississippi and Alabama public schools will be closed for the rest of the 2019-2020 school year.
- Newton County Justice Court cases that were set for May 14 have been continued. Pleas that were originally set for May 14 at 9 a.m. will be heard June 4 at 9 a.m. Those that were scheduled for May 14 at 1 p.m. have been moved to June 4 at 1 p.m. Civil cases have been continued till June 16 at 9 a.m. and criminal cases have been moved to July 21.
- The Lauderdale County Tax Collector's Office has a walk-up service window. Payments for taxes, tags or garbage fees may also be mailed to: P.O. Box 5205, Meridian, MS 39302, or paid online at http://www.lauderdalecounty.org/services/.
- Pearl River Resort properties in Choctaw and Bok Homa Casino in Sandersville will be closed until further notice.
- All four Mississippi State Veterans Homes have implemented a no-visitor policy to comply with CDC, VA, Mississippi Department of Health, and state requirements established by Gov. Tate Reeves in response to the COVID-19 respiratory disease. The decision is aimed at preventing and limiting the spread of the COVID-19 virus within the most vulnerable Veteran population, adults over 65 with chronic medical conditions.
- The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is modifying its Driver License Division’s statewide operations in response to the coronavirus. It has suspended road testing (including CDL), discourages anyone with a weakened or compromised immune system from visiting any Driver License locations, reminds everyone all Alabama driver licenses and non-driver IDs have a 60-day grace period following expiration date. Customers may wait to renew. Online services for anyone who must renew or obtain a duplicate driver license/STAR ID or non-driver ID at https://www.alabamainteractive.org/dl_renewal/welcome.action.
- The WIN Job Center in Meridian is closed to walk-in traffic but you may access its services online and by phone at 601-553-9511.
- The VFW Post 79 Saturday night dances are cancelled until further notice.
- The Choctaw Area Council will have minimum personnel on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 to 2 to process mail, unit needs, bills, Friends of Scouting payments, Recharters, and other requests needed by our Scouting family. You are welcome to call the office at this time.
Ken Kercheval Scout Executive firstname.lastname@example.org 601-527-7464
Brandon Bridges District Executive email@example.com 601-513-5725
At this time, the following events have been canceled or postponed:
• Annual Joe Brown Memorial Golf Tournament rescheduled for June 12th, 2020
For the latest updates on our events, please visit www.cacbsa.org.
- EMEPA offices are closed to walk-ins; drive-up windows remain open for regular hours
- Dixie Electric Power Association has its drive-through windows at all three locations open while the lobbies will be closed. Dixie Electric encourages its members to make payments or conduct other business by using the SmartHub mobile app, visiting dixieepa.com or by phone at 601-425-2535.