Explosion kills two in Newton County

Published: Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:51 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Law enforcement says two people died in an explosion at a home in Newton County.

The explosion happened at a home on Chunky Duffee Road around 7 p.m. Saturday evening. Officials say it leveled the entire brick home.

The assistant fire chief of the Duffee Fire Department says the explosion was most likely due to a propane leak around the fireplace. He says everyone in the community of Duffee is very close, and everyone knew the two victims well. He says Saturday night came as a shock and a major loss to the area.

"It was a very large explosion. We have a debris field that is 360 degrees around the house and we won't know until the morning how far it extends. The house was blown completely flat. I got here about three minutes after it exploded and it was already gone," said Irven Skinner, the assistant fire chief of the Duffee Fire Department.

The two victims are husband and wife who were in their 70s. The names have not yet been released.

The Newton County Sheriff's Department, Chunky Volunteer Fire Department and Union Volunteer Fire Department are some of the agencies responding to the scene.