MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WTOK) - Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has awarded grants totaling $1.7 million for programs that help low-income residents take steps to get jobs and improve their lives.
The Community Services Block Grants will enable 20 community action agencies throughout the state to help low-income residents become self-sufficient.
West Alabama counties are included in the grant. Here is a breakdown of the awards:
• Community Action Partnership of Huntsville/Madison and Limestone Counties Inc. (Madison and Limestone) - $109,266.
• Community Service Programs of West Alabama Inc. (Bibb, Choctaw, Dallas, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Lamar, Perry, Tuscaloosa, Sumter) - $171,486.
• Walker County Community Action Agency Inc. (Walker) - $28,339.
• Pickens County Community Action Committee and Community Development Corporation Inc. (Pickens) - $12,145.
• Organized Community Action Program Inc. (Bullock, Butler, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Lowndes, Pike) - $83,446.
• Community Action Agency of Northwest Alabama Inc. (Colbert, Franklin, Lauderdale) - $69,161.
• Community Action Agency of Northeast Alabama Inc. (Blount, Cherokee, DeKalb, Jackson, Marshall, St. Clair) - $140,136.
• Community Action Partnership of North Alabama Inc. (Cullman, Lawrence, Morgan) - $80,283.
• Montgomery Community Action Committee Inc. (Montgomery) - $94,390.
• Mobile Community Action Inc. (Mobile, Washington) - $183,551.
• Marion-Winston Counties Community Action Committee Inc. (Marion, Winston) - $23,449.
• Macon-Russell Community Action Agency Inc. (Macon, Russell) - $38,824.
• Jefferson County Committee for Economic Opportunity (Jefferson) - $227,384.
• Southeast Alabama Community Action Partnership Inc. (Barbour, Coffee, Geneva, Henry, Houston) - $85,701.
• Community Action of Etowah County Inc. (Etowah) - $3,922.
• Community Action Partnership of Middle Alabama Inc. (Chilton, Shelby, Autauga, Elmore) - $82,179.
• Community Action Committee Inc. of Chambers-Tallapoosa-Coosa (Chambers, Tallapoosa, Coosa) - $36,360.
• Community Action Agency of South Alabama (Baldwin, Clarke, Conecuh, Escambia, Marengo, Monroe, Wilcox) - $128,522.
• Alabama Council on Human Relations Inc. (Lee) - $57,026.
• Community Action Agency of Talladega, Clay, Randolph, Calhoun, and Cleburne Counties (Calhoun, Clay, Cleburne, Randolph, Talladega) - $105,639.