JACKSON, Miss (WTOK) - In anticipation of Pearl River flooding, the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has announced several closures in Hinds County.
Following the Governor’s briefing of additional water at the Pearl River Water Supply District, it was determined to implement several road and lane closures today, February 15, 2020.
Closures associated with the State Street closure between U.S. Highway 80 and Gallatin Street in Jackson include:
· I-20 westbound at Exit 45B (Ramp to State Street)
· I-20 eastbound at Exit 45 (Ramp to Gallatin/State Street will be left open for time being)
· I-55 northbound at Exit 92B (Ramp to State/Gallatin Street)
· US 80 westbound at Exit Ramp to State Street
· US 80 eastbound at Exit Ramp to State Street
· State Street southbound will be closed at Highway 80
In addition, the outside lane of I-55 northbound and southbound, and potentially the center lane, to close between McDowell Road and Daniel Lake, along with the following closures:
· Daniel Lake Entrance Ramp to I-55 north
· I-55 south Daniel Lake Exit Ramp
· West Frontage Road (between McDowell Road and Daniel Lake)
· East Frontage Road (between Savanna Street and McDowell Road)
“MDOT forces have staged traffic control devices in areas we anticipate will encounter potential flooding,” said Central Transportation Commissioner Willie Simmons. “These closures are in place to ensure the safety of motorists that may encounter flooded areas in the event the roads are overtopped in the State Street/Gallatin Street area or over I-55 near Daniel Lake.”
Dynamic message boards and changeable message boards are staged ahead of closures to alert motorists of road conditions. MDOT Enforcement officers are providing support in closure staging, ramp closures and road closures.
View safety tips for driving in severe weather and flood conditions at GoMDOT.com/drivesmartms.
Check conditions prior to traveling at www.MDOTtraffic.com, download the MDOT Traffic mobile app and follow @MississippiDOT on Facebook and Twitter for current travel information.