TUPELO, Miss. (WTOK) - The Mississippi Department of Transportation Thursday announced the winners from the 2019 State Equipment Operators Roadeo. It was held May 31 in Biloxi.
Each spring, MDOT hosts the Equipment Operators Roadeo in each of its six districts. The top operators from the district roadeos compete in the state event.
The roadeos have safety as a primary goal, but efficiency and skill are also a key component as participants show their mastery of vehicle handling, trailer maneuvering and heavy equipment precision.
Employees in the Newton District won a lot of the awards and MDOT’s District 5 Team from Newton was the team champion.
State Roadeo winners are as follows:
• Single-Axle Dump Truck: Roger Brown, of Amory, first; Matthew Thorne, of Newton, second; and John Hodge, of Lake, third.
• Tandem-Axle Dump Truck: Derrick Stamps, of Cary, first; David Baty, of Hattiesburg, second; and Steve Allen, of Booneville, third.
• Lowboy: Billy Coward, of Conehatta, first; William Fulgham, of Smithdale, second; and Mike Mink, of Blue Mountain, third.
• Motor Grader: Jeremy Hankins, of Crowder, first; Simpson Wofford, of Mantee, second; and Jake Burge, of Taylorville, third.
• Bushhog: Nathan Perkins, of Conehatta, first; Wayne Perkins, of Conehatta, second; and Vincent Necaise, of Kiln, third.
• Backhoe: Fdaran Thompson, of Tylertown, first; Thomas Goode, of Batesville, second; and Craig Kelly, of Decatur, third.
• State Roadeo Team Champion – MDOT’s District 5 Team from Newton
The winner of each event has the opportunity to compete in the southeast regional roadeo which will be held in September in Biloxi.