MERIDIAN, Miss. (WTOK) - As it gets colder in our area, the Meridian Fire Department is ensuring the public is taking all of the necessary precautions when it comes to keeping warm.
In addition to making sure there is enough space for space heaters, experts say being aware of your fireplace should be high on the list. If you have a fireplace and plan on using it to make sure you have it cleaned before you do so.
“Have a screen around the fireplace, especially if you have children or pets. Make sure you have that screen around there because of the embers that can come out. Just make sure you pay attention and don’t leave it running all the time,”
Foy also warns against using a stove to heat a home for several reason, one being that it produces carbon monoxide in the home.
It’s also the time of year to replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and ensure they are working properly after doing so.