Regular insurance policies won’t cover flood damage

Source: AP
Source: AP(WTOK)
Published: Feb. 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

If your house floods due to rivers and creeks overflowing their banks or water backing up on streets and roads, your regular homeowner’s or renter’s insurance will not cover the damage.

You need a separate flood policy for that, and if you don’t have one already, it’s too late. New insurance policies don’t take effect until after a 30-day waiting period.

If you rent your home, your landlord’s flood policy will cover the house, but not your belongings. You have to get a separate flood policy of your own to cover the contents.

Flood policies are backed by the federal government through the National Flood Insurance Program. For more information, click the attached link to the right.

Latest News

Latest News