Kylin Hill Wins 24th Annual C Spire Conerly Trophy

Published: Dec. 3, 2019 at 10:47 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The Southeastern Conference's leading rusher this season, Mississippi State junior running back Kylin Hill was named the winner of the 24th annual C Spire Conerly Trophy, the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum announced Tuesday night at its presentation at the Country Club of Jackson.

A product of Columbus, Mississippi, Hill is the eighth MSU football student-athlete to win the award, which debuted in 1996 and is presented to the best college football player in the state of Mississippi. It's the second straight year and fifth time in the last seven years that a Bulldog has taken home the trophy.

"It's really special," Hill said. "Growing up as a kid, this is an award every Mississippi athlete should want to win. I'm honored and thankful. I know [the other finalists] are all great athletes. For me to win it, it's a compliment."

Hill was the top vote getter and winner of the fan voting segment of the 2019 C Spire Conerly Trophy. He received 16,776 votes from fans, which counts for a weighted 10 percent of the award. A panel of statewide sports media representatives decided the remaining 90 percent of the award.

Hill led the SEC in rushing with 1,347 yards and 10 touchdowns, including 132 yards on 27 carries in a 21-20 victory for the Bulldogs against Ole Miss in the 92nd annual Battle for the Golden Egg on Thanksgiving. He finished the regular season with eight 100-yard rushing games, tying the single-season school record. He is just 45 rushing yards away from setting the school single-season record, which is currently owned by former running back Anthony Dixon (1,391 in 2009).

Latest News

Latest News